You own three hotels but are running out of business due to the pandemics – this is a common problem most of the hospitality industry is encountering says Maxwell Drever. With the covid restrictions, many hotels and motels went on zero occupancies for almost a year. This situation forced people to quit jobs, and the hotels turned some of the best employees redundant. The entire hospitality industry is crippled, leaving more people jobless, homeless, and increasing petty crimes.
Did you know that more than 35 million US households consider paying for the house as a burden as more than 25% of their annual income goes into accommodation? The rate of homeless families due to the pandemic and travel restrictions is increasing every day. It is a very challenging situation for the government and also for local bodies to bridge the gap. However, there are several projects initiated to rezone the budget hotels into multi-unit apartments for dwellers.
Maxwell Drever urges to consider the idea of hotels to housing initiative that tags with the local landlords for potential tenants and families seeking housing units. There is a proper channel to pair the demand to supply. The hotels, motels, and even large office buildings (not in use) transform into sustainable and comfortable multifamily units.
Families who apply for accommodation go on the selection list because of eligibility and priority. The authorities finally moved from the streets to the shelter homes, which was advantageous to both – hotels desperately seeking occupancy and people looking for homes.
Advantages of the hotel to a home concept by Maxwell Drever
- You can offer a high volume of housing solutions as the hotels have an average of 250 rooms. Converting these rooms into individual accommodations and multiple flats for occupancy is an intelligent choice.
- You can receive business from local municipalities, and local government bodies bridge the demand and supply gap.
- You do need to initiate any significant construction of new apartments or modular homes.
- The families can enjoy robust housing units with basic amenities like ventilation, heating system, and water supply.
- The hotel rooms may offer toilets and other extra services as part of housing benefits to the occupants.
- You can remove people from the streets and put them in proper houses closer to their workplaces.
- The workforce affordable housing projects are very systematic. It passes from market rates to per planning commission for documentation. Also, the next process is allocating units based on the size and facilities of every home to the eligible families.
- You can offer homes at very reasonable prices, and it shall recover the fixed overhead of your hotels. The housing aid local bodies are responsible for paying off the rental.
- Since all the homeless are under one roof, it is easier to provide them with potential jobs. You know who has the right skill and keep track of them.
Maxwell Drever points that the only downside of hotels to housing is the increase in crime rates. Some of the places have cropped as the epicenter of criminals. Due to unemployment, many families incline to drug peddling and other felonies. But since all the accommodations are under government control, it is always under surveillance.